Yoani Sanchez Launches Virtual Realism in Cuba

with her Generation Y blog

Vincent Morin Aguado

Yoani Sanchez. Photo: wikipedia.org

HAVANA TIMES — Carpentier spoke of “magical realism,” just as people had spoken of this earlier in Europe. Similarly, Stalinists defended their grim “socialist realism.” Now, Cuba — a country with restricted internet access for its citizens — is showcasing to the world the island’s most famous blogger who is giving us “virtual realism.”

One day several months ago, when Yoani Sanchez attempted to travel to Bayamo to present herself at the trial of the unhappy car driver Angel Carromero (in the accident where Oswaldo Paya and Harold Cepero died), I publicly showed solidarity with the journalist because I believed and I believe that it made no sense to prevent her from attending the trial, something completely normal in almost any other country in the world.

The philologist now wanders the world, speaking as if she were the now-forgotten Hassan Perez Casabona (a Communist Youth leader and official of the Battle of Ideas), but in a different ideological sense. She fires bullets without clear direction, hoping to hit some target. With so much shooting — as they say in Cuban streets — she’s sure to hit something.

They speak of courage, “balls” according to some commentators (something which seems to me must be offensive to the young woman). She hasn’t been imprisoned, just subject to short detentions. She’s not missing any toenails, as once happened under the Batista dictatorship, when the majority of the members of the resistance were tortured.

Cuba lives with restricted access to the Internet. Even when Cubans have money to pay the prohibitive cost, the administrative authorities haven’t dared offer the service, considering the risk of free expression too high.

Despite these conditions, the girl Y, speaks directly, hurtfully and publically, without them interfering with her blog, created and transmitted from our country.

It seems, as I said in a previous comment, that times are changing in Cuba. There are the “luckies,” like the cat of what would be the English ALFT. And forgive me if there are any spelling mistakes; I don’t have the ability to try to check this in detail. I lack Internet access. And Let me clarify, as I’ve reiterated, that I don’t believe in soap operas.

For now, in terms of ideas, Yoani Sanchez hasn’t shown me anything.  However I respect her enormous popularity, ease of words and other virtues that God gave her.
—–
Vincent Morin Aguado. [email protected]

15 thoughts on “Yoani Sanchez Launches Virtual Realism in Cuba

• May 28, 2013 at 11:40 am

They weren’t there to protest the event. They were there to listen and to correct, which one member of the audience tried to do but was shut down by loud and very aggressive audience members.

• April 14, 2013 at 8:07 am

If I were from Switzerland and I felt as I do about the lack of democracy in Cuba, would you accuse me of Swiss arrogance? If meeting with the extreme right in Miami disqualifies Yoani as a “true dissident”, does the same rule apply to US government officials in meeting with the extreme left in Cuba? Your loyalty to the Castro dictatorship is obvious. Your justification for supporting these tyrants is baseless and inaccurate.

• April 13, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Yeah Griffin, Moses: any fart an shit in the US doesn`t go around , does it? When its up to Cuba it is. So tell mne the reason why? How many people get beaten up by police in the US, in the EU daily, in prisons etc. even in my own country. So were are all you glorious defenders of human rights? But as long as it gets against >Cuba it makes the tour of the world and its fine. God, what a fucking hypocrits you are. About the same way as this OUr Lady of the Cobra.There are other “dissidents”, honestly working for changes in the country, without meeting Aguirres, Lehtinens, Bajart-Diazes and other people being very well reputaded of being the fiercest enemies of Cuba. It was our Virgen of the Dolarios herself who disqualified herself of having any credibility. And I think its just a shameless dare of you to insinuate I were against changes. But I less right winged indoctrinated as you two. That´s the point. Because so far you haven`t produced anything but cynical comments and fill the pages with it, and anybody who does not share your not even criticalbut hostile comment is already an enemy of changes. Who are you, with your arrogance to define what has to be changed.? Who are you to comment every effort of the latest reforms just with mockery and derision? Where is there any positive statement on Cuba? And then you have the dare to stat that I would rather see Cuba going down the drain. Now, maybe one day it`ll dawn to you that you just represent that kind of American arrogance that no one can`t stand all around the world.

• April 12, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Oh the irony! A critic of Emperor Fidel is called a narcissist…
    I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

• April 12, 2013 at 7:29 pm

So if Yoani is not a threat nor important! Why does the Castro “government” keeps putting her on national TV defaming her but not allow her to esplain or defend herself on TV, Radio or Print?

• April 12, 2013 at 5:33 pm

If she is ‘often’ misguided, please share one example. Since she is telling the world “her version”, how does she fail? If she is no threat, why are her emails monitored and her home under constant surveillance. Why do the Castros spend so much time and effort to thwart her message. How does being a narcissist apply to your dislike of her?

• April 12, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Yoani is often misguided and while attempting to tell the world her version of what goes on here she fails
    Not only is she not a threat she is not important and she shows me nothing nor many other Cubans as well We know her and if the Adm wanted to get rid of her they would She is no one to fear but she is a narcissist