British Co. Invests in Cuban Coffee Market

Coffee beans. photo: epha

HAVANA TIMES — A former British MP and Treasury Minister has made a deal to invest in Cuban coffee farming, reports the Telegraph on Thursday.

With his Cuba Mountain Coffee Company, Businessman Phillip Oppenheim will invest some US $4 million over five years in a coffee growing community in southeastern Cuba.

Cuba’s coffee production has suffered a sharp decline over decades. According to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization the total number of hectares where coffee is harvested in Cuba fell from 170,000 in 1961 to 26,935 in 2011.

Oppenheim said his investment in coffee tree nurseries, to renovate plantations, and in the post-harvest pulping process, “will improve the quality and the quantity of the coffee produced.”

The former minister owns a Cuba-themed bar near Waterloo in London. “I buy rum and raw sugar from Cuba for the bar,” he told the Telegraph. “It’s a small country, so you get to know people.”

The deal enabling the investment was possible under the economic liberalization taking place with the reforms being implemented by the Castro administration. Oppenheim said the agreement shows that Cuba is becoming a new market for entrepreneurs.

26 thoughts on “British Co. Invests in Cuban Coffee Market

• March 25, 2017 at 5:05 pm

…Raspberries.

• January 25, 2014 at 10:24 am

Hahaha! In your dreams pal.

• January 24, 2014 at 4:35 pm

i’m glad to have taught you something

• January 21, 2014 at 6:06 pm

No, Cuban coffee is not available for retail sale. It’s strange how much Cuban coffee, rum and cigars are still available in the US despite that horrible embargo.

• January 21, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Can you buy Cuban coffee in the US? I don’t think so. The embargo still bans the importation for sale. That would be the main reason Starbucks does not sell Cuban coffees in among their varieties.

We can buy Cubita and Serrano brands in Canada, but it is only found in a few specialty shops. At $39 per kilo, it is not worth it.

• January 21, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Jessica, I like you too. The reason Cuban coffee is not rated among the best-tasting has nothing to do with the lack of international sales. Taste experts seek out even the most obscure coffees for their competitions. Cuban coffee is not bad. It is simply NOT great. Like your nationality or language skills, the condition of my heart is not relevant to this discussion either. Thankfully, San Francisco, where I live, has coffee shops which serve coffees from all over the world so I would disagree with you regarding my knowledge of great tasting coffees. I also happen to drink Serrano or Cubita brand Cuban coffee all the time so does that qualify as “living the experience”? What is “the pure one from Maisi or Baraoa”? Which brand is that? The Cuban coffee that most Cubans drink that is sold in the bodegas or on the street for 15 Cuban pesos blended with chicharos is almost undrinkable. Believe me, I tried. I don’t speak Russian but I could dust off my French.

• January 21, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Hi my friend. hahahahah I like you Patterson. Your opinion does not represent any major percentage in how great Cuban coffee it is. If you have have some frustration in the Psychological field , then go back to school. English is not my first language but this discussion is about coffee not which is my first language or my nationality. Pride is not a good thing according to Buddha, so i am not proud of anything sir. I can see you have some anger in your heart. Take it out before turns into a heart attack, hahahahahah. i was not interested in Knowing about how often you send stuff to Gtmo… I understand that the info you have provided about many countries that are veterans in the production of coffee is taken from Wikipedia not because you have so much knowledge in the field . Cuban coffee is great but it is not popular or well known because never has been at a big scale in the international market. To judge something you have to live the experience. The Cuban coffee you have tried i assured you had chicharo, hahahahahah ,
    try the pure one from Maisi o Baracoa. My English is not that good but you understood that Cuban coffee is GREATTTTT!!!! hahahahah can we discuss this topic in french or Russian? ttys Patterson

• January 21, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Okaaaaay. That explains the 100% profit. He loans Cuba the money to refurbish the growing and production process and then buys the product. He probably does get to keep 100% of the profits he earns. However, at that price, I am not guessing he will sell a lot of coffee. Coffee futures are way down and have been for awhile. http://futures.tradingcharts.com/marketquotes/KC.html