Cuba Ousts Murillo as Economy Minister

VP Ricardo Cabrisas appointed new Minister of Economy and Planning

Marino Murillo. Foto: Ladyrene Pérez/Cubadebate.
Marino Murillo. Foto: Ladyrene Pérez/Cubadebate.

HAVANA TIMES — Raul Castro, with the approval of the Council of State, today removed the Minister of Economy and Planning, Marino Murillo, and appointed Ricardo Cabrisas, one of Cuba’s six vice presidents to replace him, reported El Demajagua the official online publication of Granma province.

The official note says Murillo will now “focus his efforts on tasks related to updating the Cuban economic and social model, adopted by the 6th and 7th congress of the Party.”

Ricardo Cabrisas. Foto: cubadebate.cu
Ricardo Cabrisas. Foto: cubadebate.cu

Without giving any reasons for removing Murillo, the point man of the Cuban economy, the Council of State praised the “extensive experience” of Cabrisas “in different government responsibilities and important missions.”

The note also announced the destitution of Higher Education Minister Rodolfo A. Alarcon and replacing him with the deputy minister Loidi Jose R. Sabol.  Like in the case of Murillo no reasons were given for the removal of Alarcon.

Last week the minister of culture, Julian Gonzalez, was removed and the former minister Abel Prieto returned to the post.

47 thoughts on “Cuba Ousts Murillo as Economy Minister

• July 18, 2016 at 2:53 pm

So now you are no longer a “conservative Republican”? In mentioning the Republican candidate I had assumed that you meant what you wrote, but am relieved by your current disclosure – are you now a Democrat?
    If you care to research my contributions to these pages over the years, you will find that I have consistently expressed my detestation of all dictators – including Batista, Pinochet and the Castro brothers.
    I didn’t quite get your operatic reference?

• July 18, 2016 at 2:40 pm

It’s a good idea Ben and thank you for the compliment. I guess that you know naught of the people I discussed, of their respective roles and of the indications of their respective ambitions, so your ignorance accounts for your second comment.
    I would be very interested in an analysis cooked up between Conrad Ermle and yourself, as I lack the religious persuasion of both of you.
    I can understand you thinking that the description I have given is appropriate for the “Science Fiction” category, but the two groups I have described would be better represented in the “Horror” category.

• July 17, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Carlyle, your efforts at trying to make up things to smear people you don’t know is laughable, especially considering that you apparently believe your right to ostracize others is uniquely yours. So, please tell me who my “candidate for the US. presidential election” is. {Actually, it’s none of the contenders and I prefer Kathy Castor down in Tampa.). AND NOW YOU KNOW!! If my thinking doesn’t coincide with yours, HEY, I’m really sorry. Your compassion for Cubans on the island has never and will never equate to mine or to Ms. Castor’s, That’s my humble opinion based on your dire one-sidedness. According to you, Batista and Luciano were 100% right and Castro and Celia Sanchez 100% wrong. That viewpoint is ridiculously simplistic.

• July 17, 2016 at 9:22 pm

One piece of positive news that I took note of recently was the announcement that the Cuban Government will not allow the construction or the opening of a mosque anywhere in the country.

• July 17, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Wow! Somebody finally told MacDuff the truth, but I doubt if he can comprehend it. He only sees things in black and white. You sure wonder what the Castro boys ever did to him. Poor fella.

• July 17, 2016 at 4:03 pm

It seems either you can’t read or you don’t want to “see”. Even your handlers agree all kinds of good things are happening in Cuba.

• July 17, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Bob, I would agree that US citizens have only two political choices and that in consequence each of the two parties contains a very broad spectrum of views. But Raih Haney has in these columns described himself as “conservative Republican. That is a far more precise description and is in contradiction to the views he expresses in these pages where he is an ardent supporter of socialism. Churchill very accurately said: “the inherent vice of socialism is the equal spreading of misery.”
    I understand your wish to remain aloof from Cuba’s politics. But communism is not content to remain within the boundaries of one island and the Castro regime has endeavored to spread their beliefs far beyond the island. For example, military involvement in pursuit of their purpose in thirteen other countries plus funding Dr, Ernesto Guevara’s foray into Bolivia, the formation of CELAC with its HQ divided between Havana and Caracas and with its defined purpose of spreading “socialismo” throughout Latin America.
    The history of communism (when I use the expression of socialism or socialismo with regard to Cuba I am using the definition of Fidel Castro, as I am not opposed to people expressing democratic socialist views as they recognize similarly the RIGHT to differ in free societies) is of oppression, dictatorship, opposition to Human Rights as defined by the UN and eradication of those who actively oppose their views – purges, imprisonment in both jails and gulags and perceivable repression.
    Those in Cuba who are opposed to the Castroi family communist regime are not as you know, permitted to express their view as criticism of the regime is a criminal offence.
    Whereas there are those like yourself who endeavor to sit of the fence, there are those – similar to me – who do think that with regard to communism, one is either for or against. I find it impossible to behave as a hermaphrodite. .

• July 17, 2016 at 11:50 am

A nonsensical response lends no credit or support to your categorical statement. You have no facts upon which to base your assertion Terry only a desire to mislead. Don’t make the mistake of mimicking Conrad Ermle. You have some knowledge of Cuba and you know that what I wrote is correct.