Cuba to Open Embassy in Washington on July 20th

The Cuban Interests Building soon to be embassy in Washington.  Photo: cubadebate.cu
The Cuban Interests Building soon to be embassy in Washington. Photo: cubadebate.cu

HAVANA TIMES — Cuba will open its embassy in Washington on July 20th, announced the government of Raul Castro on Wednesday, a major step in the new relationship between Cuba and the USA, reported dpa.

Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez will make a special trip to Washington on that date for the opening ceremony. The United States, meanwhile, did not yet give a date for the pending grand opening of its embassy in Havana to be attended by Secretary of State John Kerry.

Raul Castro sent a letter today to President Barack Obama, confirming the intention of his government to open the embassy on July 20.

“I am pleased to write to you to confirm that the Republic of Cuba has decided to resume diplomatic relations with the United States and open permanent diplomatic missions in our respective countries on July 20,” Castro said in the text.

Obama confirmed shortly after that US Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to Havana to reopen the US embassy, but did not mention a specific date.

Kerry will travel “later this summer to Havana to proudly hoist the American flag,” said Obama, calling it a “historic step” between the two countries during a brief speech from the White House.

“We should not be prisoners of the past. When something does not work (in reference to previous policy toward Cuba) it can and must change,” Obama said.

Obama and Raul Castro made a surprise announcement last December 17 of a historic diplomatic rapprochement between the two countries after more than half a century of hostilities, then sealed it with a prisoner exchange.

The US unilaterally broke off relations with Cuba in 1961, two years after the triumph of the revolution led by Fidel Castro and after the expropriation of numerous US companies on the island. A year later the US imposed a harsh economic and trade embargo against the island that is still in effect.

One of the coming steps in the long process towards normalization will be for the two administrations to appoint ambassadors for their respective embassies.

20 thoughts on “Cuba to Open Embassy in Washington on July 20th

• July 2, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Dan, I’ve done in depth research into Havana Times and some in the anti normalization process state that this is a totally pro Castro front. That’s fine in that one is entitled to one’s opinions. I for one find this site exceptional in that

posters like Carlye, John Goodrich, Carlye and others bring some good points that I sometimes fail to reason with. Moses is married to a Cuban woman and has visited her family numerous times so he’s got credibility in my book.
    Cuba needs the US and Cuba is strategically important to us. Let’s see how it all pans out but my thinking is that everything is going to be fast tracked and the internet will be the key for free thinking among the masses. Change is inevitable.

• July 2, 2015 at 11:10 am

BJ, you should know by now that according to Mssr.s Moses and Carlyle, HT is a blog about Cuba, and hence comparisons between Cuba and any other country, developed or undeveloped, are irrelevant and unwelcome, at least as far as the comparison is favorable to Cuba. All focus, in their opinions, is to remain laser-like upon the failures and imperfections of Cuba, suffering under the cruel and venal yoke of the “Castro Family Dictatorship”

• July 2, 2015 at 11:09 am

Cuban resort / hotel workers like American tourists as they are very generous with their tips. Some tourists from Europe are very tight with their tips.
    Gordon Robinson Port Alberni B.C. Canada
    [email protected]

• July 1, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Carlyle, I think you’re from Canada and if so, you may or may not know that the US,

especially black people, in general, are living on welfare and subsidies that comes from my taxes. In NYC, the tax rate, with sales tax included, is 45% and so there are minorities who live in a similar position as those in Cuba who are lower than the 20.68 monthly you write. Here’s the difference, Cuba has opened up to the extent that 5% have internet access, slow of course, but will change with expansive trade with the US. As far as those who criticize the Cuban system, there’s one person I follow daily and she is Yoani Sánchez who comes to the US, preaches against her government and last I checked, still walking the streets of Havana. Perfect? No but not what you are perhaps seeing. Yoani and many like her stayed in Cuba and WILL make the changes necessary for a different system than you and I are seeing today.

• July 1, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Always fair and balanced Marti!

• July 1, 2015 at 8:28 pm

I agree with you naksuthin.

• July 1, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Your a good man Moses. I’m not a Obama fan but I think this was extraordinary, as with his Iraq policy, so let’s see how this pans out. I think it will be wonderful for the peoples of Cuba and hopefully your wife will see a better future for her family and friends. You also make me consider Obama a better President than I thought with you endorsement.

• July 1, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Again, this was totally expected and I also applaud Obama, a president I am generally opposed to MOST of the time. Let’s get the internet going full steam and then we’ll see some rock and rolling. To all those who stayed in Cuba I also, as someone who never went through what you did, may you have better times which you so rightfully deserve. Salute!