About us

Havana Times History, Policies, Perspectives & How You Can Help

HAVANA TIMES — In this interview editor Circles Robinson answers a wide range of questions about the web publication, its history, policies & direction.  Havana Times began in October 2008 and is now in its 12th year.

If you would like to help make it possible for Havana Times to continue publishing please click on the following link which has the easy to follow instructions: https://mediaoutreach.org/havana-times-donate

RELATED POSTS:

Contact Havana Times here:  [email protected]

46 thoughts on “About us

• July 9, 2020 at 1:24 pm

My name is Romeo Gallant and I live in Prince Edward Island Canada. My wife and I have visited your country and I have always felt a respect for the people. My thoughts are with you and your families. My family also lives on an Island so I hope things go well with you as well. I look forward to visiting again soon. As we say here: be nice and be kind to each other.

• January 26, 2020 at 4:48 pm

We — our whole species, planet-wide — are living through very dangerous times. It can be depressing, comparing what CAN be done, economically, scientifically — and IS being done in many places … with all the possibilities for this wonderful progress to be de-railed.

Putting out Havana Times must be a burden at times. All I can say is … keep it up! People who devote their lives to building a better world are the leaven in the bread of humanity.

Some day Cuba will advance towards being a free society, while hopefully retaining the gains of its revolution. When it does so, it will be a true model to be followed all over Latin America. And The Havana Times will have played a big role in that.

• January 17, 2020 at 3:04 pm

My wife and I are planning a trip to Cuba in the near future. I write articles for a periodical called “Mules and More” located in St. Louis, Missouri, USA. I would love to receive any info on your mule/donkey population and after our visit write a positive article on the status of mules and donkeys in Cuba. Also, would like to ride some mules in Cuba, we have several mules and donkeys on our farm in Missouri. I’ve been fascinated by these animals for several years and am concerned for their health and welfare, their history and their future.

Noel C. Stasiak

• January 5, 2020 at 3:35 am

As a “Cuban exile” living in the US(and, no, not Miami,but yes in Florida-the “other” Cuban population) I’d simply like to express my appreciation for your site and insight from various viewpoints (seems relatively well-balanced, since there are “outsiders” as well as more closely-related contributors, equally representative), I’ve only just discovered HT through a google search related to Cuban counter revolutionaries(admittedly sparked by the provocative Netflix series “Occupied”)and my personal experiences as a Cuban-born exile(by virtue of family actions rather than my own).
    Having lived through a forced escape of Castro’s Cuba in the early 1960’s, and experienced an intimate view of life in Cuba for my relatives who remained, I am more in agreement with Melissa Martin’s observations than Mr. Haney’s, but wish to comment that having his(or similar) views is healthy for debating such a complex and multi-faceted issue as post-revolutionary Cuba.Is it not a policy of revolutionary Cuba to silence “dissident” views? Surely that is not the same policy we would wish to perpetuate, after having to leave behind one’s homeland for that(and myriad other) reasons?

• January 4, 2020 at 12:42 pm

When freedom of the press is imprisoned

Jailed journalists around the globe. How can it be?

Devious despots misusing power and preying upon humanity—withholding information because knowledge is power. Silencing the other side of the story. Fear of losing control feeds their depravity. Dictators hiding behind castle walls and armies of destruction for those who dare ask questions or criticize.

Freedom of the press is held hostage as journalists observe through prison bars. The courageous story-tellers that sacrifice personal safety for the human rights of others. But their lips will not be nailed shut like a wooden coffin. Truth finds a way to seep out of the cracks and crannies of the grave. “Freedom of speech!” cry the people. “Freedom of expression!” cry the people. “Hear our voices!” cry the people.

Duvar English, an independent newspaper in Turkey, revealed the following facts in a 2019 article. “There are 250 imprisoned journalists in the world, nearly 50 of whom are in Turkey, according to a report by the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ). Turkey follows China with the second largest number of journalists jailed with 47, marking a decrease from 68 last year…Penned by CPJ editor Elana Beiser, the report noted that over 100 news organizations have been closed under the current Turkish government and that many working journalists are being accused of terrorism and are in legal battles…Saudi Arabia and Egypt tied for third place with 26 journalists incarcerated.” http://www.duvarenglish.com.

Reporters Without Borders (RSF) lends bulletproof vests and helmets at no cost to journalists travelling to dangerous areas.

“In July 2019, the libel trial began in the Philippines against Maria Ressa, the executive editor of online news outlet Rappler. Ressa, a prominent critic of President Rodrigo Duterte, was arrested in February 2019 on trumped up libel charges after Rappler published detailed investigations into some of the thousands of extrajudicial executions committed by police and unknown armed persons, with Duterte’s explicit encouragement, during drugs-related operations. Her case is widely seen as an attack by the government on press freedom.” http://www.amnesty.org.

What Can Citizens Do?

Support your local newspaper and pay for the news you consume. Read local, state, and national newspapers and write Letters to the Editors about free press issues.

Join or donate to Reporters Without Borders at http://www.rsf.org. Read about the 100 Information Heroes from countries abroad.

The Committee to Protect Journalists is an independent, nonprofit organization that promotes press freedom worldwide. CPJ is made up of about 40 experts around the world. When press freedom violations occur, CPJ mobilizes a network of correspondents who report and take action on behalf of those targeted. http://www.cpj.org.

Be aware of fake news outlets and fake news on social media. PolitiFact is a fact-checking website that rates the accuracy of claims by elected officials and others at http://www.politifact.com.
    Snopes.com is an independent publication fact-checking site online. Fact-checking and accountability journalism from AP journalists around the globe at [email protected].

May 3, the anniversary of the Declaration of Windhoek is celebrated worldwide as World Press Freedom Day. It is an opportunity to: celebrate the fundamental principles of press freedom; assess the state of press freedom throughout the world; defend the media from attacks on their independence; and pay tribute to journalists who have lost their lives in the line of duty. http://www.un.org.

Freedom of expression is a fundamental human right as stated in Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights: “Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.”

“Freedom of the Press, if it means anything at all, means the freedom to criticize and oppose.”—George Orwell

Melissa Martin, Ph.D., is an author, columnist, educator, and therapist. She lives in US.

• December 4, 2019 at 1:44 pm

Congratulation on your 10 years of publishing Havana Times. It remains the single best source of information on Cuban culture, economy, politics & society. Best wishes in the future!

• September 9, 2019 at 5:16 am

I wrote you be email. Best Regards, the editor

• September 8, 2019 at 9:54 pm

Mr. Robinson, I recently became aware of your Havana Times and I am currently receiving emails on various subjects.
    I am married to a Cuban for the past 47 years ( 1972 ) so I am akin to everything Cuban. I do not hold the same feelings as many of the Cubans in Miami have had for so many years including my spouse.
    I believe we must move forward and I hope the US will once again be able to be allies with the Cuban government so we can all benefit . That is wishful thinking but it comes from deep inside my soul.
    I have a long time friend who is Peruvian by birth but is a US citizen due to his maternal side being American and he is an independent contractor in the Wash DC area. He visited Cuba last October 2018 and immediately fell in love with the Isle and the culture, the food, the music, the history and the PEOPLE.. need I say more ? He wants to orchestrate his own project in Havana and needs to find an investor to join him in his project.
    Can you tell me what government agency in President Diaz-Canel’s regime he should contact ? I have read various websites on doing business in Cuba and there are a lot of restrictions especially if one is an American. I have written also to various Cuban study groups in Miami and Wash DC for further advice and even the Cuban Banking Study Group but have not received any replies. Would you be able to give me some insight so that I may pass it over to my contractor friend?
    Gratefully,