About us

Havana Times History, Policies, Perspectives & How You Can Help

HAVANA TIMES — In this interview editor Circles Robinson answers a wide range of questions about the web publication, its history, policies & direction.  Havana Times began in October 2008 and is now in its 12th year.

If you would like to help make it possible for Havana Times to continue publishing please click on the following link which has the easy to follow instructions: https://mediaoutreach.org/havana-times-donate

RELATED POSTS:

Contact Havana Times here:  [email protected]

49 thoughts on “About us

• April 13, 2021 at 11:53 am

Hi, I’m a freelancer trying to report from Aguadilla, PR this May. Could I get in touch with an editor to whom I can make a pitch?

• April 12, 2021 at 9:16 pm

Beaming from Medellin now. Wanting to make more contacts in Cuba and Nicaragua for that matter.

• April 9, 2021 at 3:13 pm

Dear Tracy, because you are studying Cuba in your college course in International Business, I strongly recommend spending one month with an ordinary, poor family, who is of course not a member of the Communist party, in Cuba. Believe me, it will not be funny and I guarantee that you will radically change many of your opinions.

• January 13, 2021 at 8:51 am

I like your paper and want to donate. I think that Cubans should be able to receive donations from their families and friends and hope that the Biden administration will allow this process to continue. If the Cuban government takes, say, 10 percent but give my family the other 90 percent specially now that they are going to one currency, I would definitely support that for my Cuban family. I would contribute to your news if I saw you answer the questions of the young reader Tracy, above, honestly and in a balanced way. No, the majority of the Cuban people are not happy because they lack freedom of expression, press, and speech. Please also report on the demonstrations against the lack of human rights going on in Cuba, right now too. The Cuban people should be helped, while the US government and the rest of us at the same time try to apply more political pressure to open the country so that Cubans can make a decent living. No one is happy living in misery while spending their existence focused only on the physical survival of themselves and their families because they cannot survive with their nutritional government allowances. So while lobbying for more help for the Cuban people, I would like to see you also cover more about what can be done to solve the present Cuban human crisis by also calling out the Cuban government’s ability and refusal to change some of its policies to make every Cuban proud of their country again. Perhaps the present increased allowance of citizens to be more interactive on the internet, on their phones, and to express themselves, and even recent changes to the Cuban currencies are good first steps, however painful these currency changes may be for the Cuban citizens at this point. The Cuban government still needs to decrease their still repressive efforts of free speech and press. But I like the increasing abilities of some of its citizens to express their independent views. Unfortunately, there still exists much fear preventing most citizens in engaging in free interactive discussions with other citizens and their government. So have the military and security police back off. They may lose some the the economic advantages they now enjoy, but have much to gain by elevating every citizen to the same life style they now enjoy.
    Carmen,
    Georgia

• November 21, 2020 at 9:15 pm

Cuba has a unique position, as a nation that has survived in insolation and with limitations. During this global pandemic period, it is so important for us to have a deeper view into the lives of Cuban to derived invaluable lessons about their outlook or world view, about living with challenges.

Havana independent reporting from the grass roots provide excellent insights for me to draw invaluable lessons. As a farmer, Cuba is an amazing country that offers me invaluable lessons to serve as guiding principles, through the views found in the Cuban diaries. Kudos!!!! Havana Times for bringing to the global community this unique and precious insight.

• November 14, 2020 at 5:46 pm

nice to hear something positive about Cuba for a change

• September 30, 2020 at 12:03 pm

Hi,

I have chosen Cuba as my country in my college course, International Business. I was wondering if the positive mannerism of the citizens are from what they are, without the need of material items such as my country, USA, thrive on? Do they really find happiness in what they have, making what they need, and the purity is that of a true soul? From what I have read, I would say yes, my teacher was curious.

Please keep posting, your stories help build my character in my homework. I think Cuba is not seen for what it really is, and I believe the PR should bring the soul of your country to life.

Tracy