Can I extend my tourist visa to stay longer in Cuba?

To extend a tourist visa one must go to the immigration office indicated below with one’s passport and visa. In general, there is a charge of CUC 25 in special “tax stamps” (officially known as “Especies Timbradas” but commonly referred to as “sellos de timbre”), which are available at some banks. You MUST have an official receipt showing purchase of the stamps and you will be asked to show identification when you buy them. The immigration office can direct you to the nearest location where these stamps are available.

NOTE: Sometimes there are different regulations and charges depending on the original visa with which you entered the country. Thus, it is recommended that before purchasing the tax stamps, you go to the immigration office to get up-to-date information on the process and associated costs for your particular situation.


Edificio Alameda de Paula

Calle Desamparado

e/ Habana y Compostela

Habana Vieja

Tel 864-4348

Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 8:30am – 5pm, Thursday and Saturday, 8am-12 noon

There is also a Spanish-only phone service available, 24-hours a day, seven days a week, where you can get recorded information relating to a range of immigration questions. The number is 206-3218.