I left Cuba in 1961, How can I go back to visit?

Question: I left Cuba in 1961 when I was 13 and now I am an American citizen. I have no relatives left in Cuba. How can I go back to visit?

Answer: Cuba and the U.S. do not have embassies; they have “interests sections” which carry out their respective diplomatic and consular responsibilities. Anyone who travels to Cuba needs a valid passport. In the case of a Cuban-born individual who lives in another country and has another passport, you need a Cuban passport to travel to Cuba.

For information about the process of acquiring a Cuban passport as well as applying for a visa to visit Cuba, contact the Cuban Interests Section (specifically the office of the Cuban Consulate) based in Washington DC. Contact information is indicated below:

Cuban Interests Section

2639 16th Street, NW
Washington DC 20009
Telephone (202) 797-8518, 8519, 8520
Fax (202) 797-8521

E-mail: [email protected]
URL: http://embacu.cubaminrex.cu/Default.aspx?tabid=1025

Cuban Consulate

2630 16th Street, NW
Washington DC 20009
Telephone (202) 797-8609, 8610, 15
Fax (202) 986-7283

Note: Phoning the Cuban Consulate tends to be more difficult than phoning the Interest Section, yet you have to talk to the Consulate for issues regarding visas, etc. They use a touchtone phone waiting / redirecting system which, like all such systems, can often be time-consuming and tedious, but if you simply call and wait, an operator eventually attends.

Please share, follow and like us:

2 thoughts on “I left Cuba in 1961, How can I go back to visit?

  • I believe that those who left Cuba prior to 1971 do NOT need a Cuban passport to enter Cuba, neither do those who recently validated their Spanish citizenship.
    So, if you are an American citizen/other, you shall be able to travel to Cuba, and your American/other passport would NOT be visa-stamped, as the Tourist Card is there to prevent further trouble at your retun to USA
    Hope this helps.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.