I would like to stay with my friends in Cuba. Can I do this on a tourist visa?

No. Your tourist visa will have to be changed to what is called a “family stay visa”. You will need to go to immigration with the owner of the home where you wish to stay, and you must also take your passport and visa. Sometimes the owner needs to show the “propriedad” (ownership papers) of the home. You will also need CUC 40 in “sellos de timbre” (tax stamps). It is up to the discretion of immigration whether or not the “family visa” will be issued. Until you have this visa, you cannot legally stay in the home but must make other accommodation arrangements at either a hotel or legally rented casa particular.

One thought on “I would like to stay with my friends in Cuba. Can I do this on a tourist visa?

  • Yes this is correct info as I have done this myself. However I did not go to immigration at the airport but to a building in Holguin which was government offices. As with most things I had to wait a couple of hours and pay for the priviledge but it was easy to do and no hassles. Do go with a friend or family member who speaks Spanish though as it isn’t just understanding the language , it’s also understanding the process.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Photo of the Day

Photo of the Day
Picture 1 of 1

Colors, Trinidad, Cuba.  By Christine McQuillan (Ireland).  Camera: Samsung cell phone

Submit your pictures to our Photo of the Day section
You don’t have to be a professional photographer, just send an image (in black and white or color), with a photo caption indicating where it was taken (city and country), type of camera or cell you used, and a small description about it.
Note: it is better for our format if you send horizontal orientation pictures. Even square will work but vertical is a problem.
Send your picture with your name and birth country, or where you reside, to this email address: [email protected]