What do I do if my flight home is two days after my tourist visa expires?

Question: In April/May I’m traveling to Cuba. I have tickets on 23th April and return on 25th May which is longer than one month. A tourist visa lasts 1 month so is this a problem?

Answer: Although the normal tourist visa is good for one month, it is usually possible to extend it for a second month. To do so one must go to the immigration office indicated below with one’s passport, visa and return flight ticket. In general, there is a charge of CUC 25 in special “tax stamps” (officially known as Especies Timbradas but commonly referred to as sellos de timbre), which are available at some banks. You MUST have an official receipt showing purchase of the stamps and you will be asked to show identification when you buy them. The immigration office can direct you to the nearest location where these stamps are available.

NOTE: Sometimes there are different regulations and charges depending on the original visa with which you entered the country. Thus, it is recommended that before purchasing the tax stamps, you go to the immigration office to get up-to-date information on the process and associated costs for your particular situation, as it is up to the discretion of immigration whether or not to issue a visa extension and for how long.

Edificio Alameda de Paula
Calle Desamparado
e/ Habana y Compostela
Habana Vieja
Tel 864-4348
Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 8:30am – 5pm, Thursday and Saturday, 8am-12 noon

There is also a Spanish-only phone service available, 24-hours a day, seven days a week, where one can get recorded information relating to a range of immigration questions. The number is 206-3218.