Elio Delgado Legon
HAVANA TIMES — The process of approving reforms to Cuba’s Constitution has sparked different expectations and comments, especially from people who hope that Cuba makes a move backwards towards capitalism, playing into US Imperialism’s game, which has been trying to destroy the Cuban Revolution for 60 years already.
Some of the more ridiculous articles I’ve read suggest that we adopt the 1940 Constitution again, which might have been very progressive back in its day, but time has passed and it has been nearly 80 years since it was written and Cuba is different today: it is a country in revolution, which is something that people who still have neo-annexationist thoughts don’t want to or can’t understand, even after they have seen the disastrous consequences it has brought to countries in the Americas that are still joined to US Imperialism with an umbilical cord.
Other people, who don’t have their heads completely lost in the clouds, but still aspire to reverse Cuba’s revolutionary process, suggest that we eliminate the socialist nature of the Revolution and establish a multi-party state, arguing that not all Cubans are socialists and that the Constitution should be for everyone.
It’s true that not every Cuban is a socialist or revolutionary. Every time there is a progressive revolution, with everyone and for everyone’s wellbeing (like Marti himself wanted), there are a small group of people who are first and foremost selfish and only think about becoming successful capitalists, without caring about the rest of the population’s suffering.
However, the majority of the Cuban people support the socialist Revolution and the autochthonous system we have created ourselves and the fact that the Constitution which is currently in force was voted on during a referendum and approved by over 97% of voters, is proof of this. Would we need to have two constitutions? One for the 97% and and another one for the remaining 3%? This is impossible, so the 3% will have to respect and accept what the 97% of society approved. This is how a democracy works.
One thing I have no doubt about whatsoever is that our constituent process is the most democratic and participatory in the world. First of all because the committee who were in charge of writing the draft of the Constitution included a large number of lawmakers, representing every social sector. Afterwards, it was discussed by the Communist Party’s Politburo and at the Central Committee’s Plenary Session, where a series of amendments were suggested. It was then analyzed and discussed in great length at the National Assembly, where many amendments were also suggested, which will be analyzed and implemented by the Committee and the result will be printed and distributed so that every Cuban can study it and they can put forward their own suggestions, which they consider to be pertinent.
The result of this process, which will be published again so people are aware. It will then be subjected to a vote during a plebiscite which will take place on February 24, 2019. If this isn’t a participatory democracy, what should we call it?
Of course, those who are expecting big changes in our government, moving towards capitalism, a multi-party state and all of this nonsense, will be frustrated because the key pillars of our system won’t change, not now or later. We will continue to build and perfect a socialist, prosperous and sustainable society, where the Communist Party will continue to be society’s highest political power.