Lost Sheep

Nonardo Perea

Photo: flikr.com

HAVANA TIMES — A friend and I went to a Christian party. We weren’t exactly invited. The pastor wanted the gathering filmed, and another friend of ours asked us to help in the recording as a favor.

I had no objections, because I respect all of the world’s religions, so I decided to lend my friend a hand at the party.

I won’t deny I felt a little uncomfortable. From the moment we set foot in the courtyard of the house, the people there began to look at us as though we weren’t normal. They looked at us, rather, as though we were a species about to become extinct.

Used to these kinds of attitudes in society, I sat down at one of the benches out on the courtyard and began to observe everything around me. Shortly afterwards, the pastor showed up and began greeting those present. After a long time, she approached us with two, young Christian men (she already knew who was filming the gathering).

She made us stand in a circle. At the time, I didn’t know that was part of the gathering.

In a low tone of voice, she began to pray and asked the Lord to save the lost sheep of the flock. I assumed the ones who were “lost” were my friend and I, who, without charging anyone a single cent, were there doing them a favor.

I almost burst out laughing. My friend and I would look at one another and smile. We couldn’t do much else but laugh to ourselves.

I wonder: who told the pastor my friend and I were sheep, and lost, for that matter? Where did she know us from to assume we were people who needed the Lord’s help?

We finished filming the gathering. The pastor addressed a number of beautiful closing words to her sheep.

Unexpectedly, her cell phone began to ring. It was the pastor’s husband. She put the phone on speaker and, from the United States of America, the pastor greeted everyone. When I heard the man’s voice, I suddenly felt as though in a Michael Jackson concert, because the sheep who weren’t lost wouldn’t stop screaming with excitement.

To conclude, the pastor made a girl go around the courtyard with a small sack in one hand, to collect money from those present, row by row.

This made me think the pastor was also part of the flock, and that she was a rather shameless sheep.

Nonardo Perea

Nonardo Perea: I see myself as an observant person and I like to write with sincerity what I think and live first hand. I’m shy and of few words; thus it’s difficult for me to engage in conversation. For that reason, my best tool for communicating is writing. I live in Marianao, Havana and am 40 years old.

10 thoughts on “Lost Sheep

• September 27, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Religion is more than the old sagas in the Bible, Koran or Torah…… religion is more than those economical organizations we call today Churches……..since the very time some “illuminated” were telling their visions and some writers were writing those visions down ion books they called the “true” there were also other people using logic and science to explain the same issues the religion tried to explain….. those wise people were called and still are called philosophers ……. so, religion is a mater of philosophy nowadays…….. you can put aside all other old things.

• September 27, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Dear friend, I pray for you and others who have not found Jesus yet. Jesus’ death on the cross reconciled us to God so that our sins would be forgiven and that we could once again have a relationship with God, our Creator.

• September 27, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I do not care for “religion”. Religion is made by man and is organized much like any other human organization. Look at the Catholic church as a prime example!

Knowing and following Jesus IS what it means to be a “Christian”. It is not about being just part of a social church gathering where a guy speaking at the pulpit is your “leader”. Your leader is always Jesus and Jesus alone. He alone saves us from our sins and He alone leads you in life and to true life.

Jesus said: “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to God the father except through me.” (John 14:6)

For those of you who are skeptics, that’s ok! There is nothing any other human can say to convince you – and they don’t have to. Only God can draw you and make you see the truth. When Jesus opens your eyes and draws you to Him, don’t resist! Follow Him!

• September 27, 2014 at 9:16 am

Hitchens’ 12:58 blather is the same warmed-over negation of deity often used by atheists to deny the gospel. His arguments would only begin to make sense if God were just a man and therefore subject to the rules which govern man. Without accepting the reality that a “celestial being” is indeed the creator of “celestial”, non-believers will always fall short of the faith necessary. You are clearly an avowed atheist. Christians don’t need a “cure” and you need prayer.

• September 27, 2014 at 9:01 am

It is said that God works in mysterious ways. He chose to use you, a non-believer, to be source of the name of His church. I kinda’ like his sense of humor.

• September 27, 2014 at 8:31 am

“For believers no reason is necessary………. For non believers no reason is enough”

I recommend to non believers to study a bit of quantum physics and to learn that the materialism was left without mater by this science….. to learn that all we know as mater is composed by pure energy in its core …….. same energy opposed to mater by different philosophical streams ones in religion favor, others against religion…….to learn that even that tiny nucleus that gave us the big bang was pure energy, a tiny nucleus of energy that incredibly produced in few seconds the whole universe we know, the rest of the universe we do not know and maybe some (or several) universes more that exists parallel to the one we live in….. after learning these things and other bizarre behaviors of the energy I invite you all to come here and try to deny the following statement of Albert Einstein:

“The Religion without Science is blind….. The Science without Religion is lame”

• September 26, 2014 at 9:56 am

Your story reminds me of an incident during my misbegotten South Florida youth (circa late 1950’s/early 1960’s) ! I was dating a Christian girl and wanted to progress beyond “second base.” This required me to attend a “Christian fellowship” with her, which I did. During one of these meetings, the group decided to take it to the next step and found a church, and requested nominations for the name of the church. Since I have always been somewhat original, I came up with a unique name–which was adopted! To this day, (some 50+ years later) the church, under that name, still exists. Now, as I was then, I remain a religious skeptic. Alas! Although I advanced to “third base,” I never hit a “home run!” Just as well, as a first class fantasy is worth more than a third-class reality.

• September 26, 2014 at 9:03 am

A cure for the belief in the tenets of Christianity:
    Go to You-Tube
    Ask for “Christianity is false and immoral Hitchens”