Soldier Accused in Afghan Massacre Set for Transfer to Kansas as Details Emerge

Democracy Now

HAVANA TIMES, Mar 16 — More details have emerged about the U.S. soldier accused in the massacre of 16 Afghan villagers. A U.S. official told the New York Times the soldier had been drinking alcohol and suffering stress related to his fourth military deployment.

The military is reportedly preparing to bring the soldier back to the United States for military detention at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, just days after moving him to Kuwait.

A prominent Seattle-based attorney emerged Thursday to announce he will defend the soldier.

The attorney, John Henry Browne, has represented clients including the notorious serial killer Ted Bundy. In comments to journalists, Browne spoke of the soldier’s multiple deployments and his family’s reaction to the charges.

John Henry Browne: “He was told that he was not going to be redeployed. And they were—the family was counting on him not being redeployed. And so, he and the family were told that his tours in the Middle East were over. And then, literally overnight, that changed. So I think that it would be fair to say that he and the family were not happy that he was going back… Oh, they were totally shocked. He’s never said anything antagonistic about Muslims. He’s never said anything antagonistic about Middle Eastern individuals. He’s, in general, been very mild-mannered. So, they were very shocked by this.”

 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *