HAVANA TIMES — Plans to embalm the body of Hugo Chavez and put him on permanent display were called off on Friday, reported dpa news.
On Wednesday, interim President Nicolas Maduro had said that doubts had arisen about the embalming process, hinting that precious time had been lost in the prolonged wake.
Maduro based his statement on the expert opinion of Russian and German scientists.
The latest statement notes: “To carry out the procedure the body would have to be sent to Russia for a period of 7 or 8 months,” said the minister of communications, Ernesto Villegas. “After receiving this report the idea of embalming was definitely discarded.”
Also on Friday, the 11th day after Hugo Chavez died, his remains were transferred in a massive procession to the Caracas Military Museum, where they will remain “until the family decides the final destination.”
Bolivian President Evo Morales and numerous Venezuelan officials accompanied the massive procession moving the coffin.