HAVANA TIMES — Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro announced Monday that he plans on launching a “powerful socialist offensive” at the beginning of 2015, aimed at ending the “economic war waged against the country by unpatriotic oligarchs,” DPA reported.
Maduro said he will bring about a “change in direction” to impel “a revolution within the revolution,” and that he will lead a socialist offensive “in all political spheres.”
“We must pursue the construction of the new State more vigorously – we are talking about Comandante Hugo Chavez’ demand that we lead a revolution within the revolution to replace the old, bourgeois State with a people’s State,” he said.
During a function attended by the leaders of the political parties that support his administration, Maduro availed himself of the occasion to commemorate Chavez’s last proclamation, which called on the country to vote for Maduro in the event he did not survive his third cancer operation in 2012.
Maduro said that, at the beginning of 2015, he will set in motion an offensive, “perfect in every way,” to consolidate the Bolivarian Revolution – a revolution that will “last forever”, he added.
“It will be a social offensive aimed at protecting our social initiatives and the rights of the people,” he said, acknowledging the country would face difficulties because of the drop in oil prices.
He pointed out that the price of oil had dropped to US $ 60.65 the barrel, and that this downward trend had been prompted by the “polluting” crude the United States obtains through the method known as “fracking.”
He also said Venezuela faces a “financial blockade” that prevents it from accessing foreign financing, “needed to make up for the deficit in oil revenues.”
“We are planning the hard currency budget for 2015 as much as we can. However, now, the risk indicators for Venezuela are high, higher than countries that are at war or where Ebola is spreading. We have twice the risk they have. Is it because of natural factors? It is a political maneuver aimed at blocking access to credit”, he affirmed.
Maduro declared that the “economic war” allegedly launched by the oligarchy and the Right seeks to bring about a “famine” in the country, but that its effects have in part been neutralized by government actions.
“There are people conspiring from within. I am sure that, when this constitutional and democratic offensive is launched, the bourgeois will immediately come out and play the victim in front of the world, saying “Maduro’s dictatorship” is after them,” he affirmed.
The president said that no foreign pressure will keep justice from going after the “fascists who killed men and women” during the protests against his government in February and May that left 43 dead and hundreds of wounded.
“There you have the murderers, playing the victims. Let us not cave in under the pressure. I say to you: no amount of pressure in this world will keep justice from going after the fascists who killed men and women,” Maduro stated.