Mariel Mega-Port Advances at a Snail’s Pace

Fernando Ravsberg

mariel-cubaHAVANA TIMES — “We have approved eight businesses and we have four files on record and others which are in the final stages of review, therefore, the coming months should produce a group of new operations,” says Ana Teresa Igarza, the Director of the Office of the Mariel Special Development Zone.

Igarza adds: “We have approved two Mexican investors: one aimed at the food industry in meat processing (Richmeat of Cuba SA), the other belongs to the chemical industry, a paint factory to produce sealants and additives (Devox Caribbean).

“There are two Cuban companies (Mariel Container Terminal SA and Mariel Logistics Services SA); and a Spanish firm, (Profood Service SA) also in the food industry, which is dedicated to the production of juices, concentrates, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.

“We also approved two Belgian projects, one focused on logistics activity (BDC LOG SA) and the other in the electronic industry, to produce industrial temperature sensors, electric boards and automatic programming (BDC TEC SA ).”

The Director of the Office of the Mariel Special Development Zone presents as an achievement that eight companies have been approved since it was created in 2013 and where today only three of them are operational. Undoubtedly the idea of moving forward but without haste has been taken very seriously.

13 thoughts on “Mariel Mega-Port Advances at a Snail’s Pace

• December 30, 2015 at 8:29 am

Has it occurred to you that the wicked corporations poised to retake the island are being invited by Raul Castro and facilitated by Barack Obama? The Mariel Port is to be the new Bay of Pigs, but this time the invaders are coming in container ships while the Castro regime will be providing, not soldiers to defend the revolution, by slave labour to sell to the foreign corporations.

About the term, “Batistianos”, like everything else related to the Cuban Revolution, and without offering any evidence, you credit it to Celia Sanchez. Yet the term was already in use in the late 1930’s to describe the circle of officers & politicians around Batista during the series of puppet presidents Batista controlled.

You wrote, “My use of it refers to those I feel harm everyday totally innocent Cubans on the island in the guise of hurting Castro.”

Ironically, that is very close to the excuse the Castro regime gives for their repression of innocent Cubans on the island in the excuse that they threaten Castro. In other words, the true heirs to the Batistiano name & methods, are the Castro’s themselves.

• December 28, 2015 at 7:41 pm

The buy time announcements do little. The people have moved on. Record exodus this year in part is driven by lack of faith future of Castro’s Cuba. Raul has made changes, but needs to go faster.

• December 28, 2015 at 11:51 am

The word Batistianos was coined, I believe, by Celia Sanchez. She meant anyone aligned with Batista. It has been used frequently by many others. My use of it refers to those I feel harm everyday totally innocent Cubans on the island in the guise of hurting Castro. Other than that, my passion might be, say, Jamaica.

• December 28, 2015 at 8:42 am

I think you might be right Rich. Just the other day I was at Port Everglads in Ft Lauderdale where I noticed a large group of men in pinstriped suites with matching ties. As I drove further along the road I saw another large group of men in guayaberas. This was obviously a mafioso and Batistano pre-invasion force waiting at the port for the right opportunity to invade Cuba. What gave them away was that they were conducting “military style” drills to tune of a classic Cuban Zarzuela.

• December 27, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Who are these Batistianos you love to talk about? Did you make that word up? My comment was not intended to provoke applause. Shame is the first thought that came to my mind. The Castros should be ashamed.

• December 27, 2015 at 3:52 pm

A port tbat shIps nothing and receives nothing

• December 27, 2015 at 12:50 pm

It figures that Moses would be the first to applaud that lack of progress at Mariel. I’m sure he’s joined by all the Batistianos and Mafiosi who plan to retake the island any day now.

• December 27, 2015 at 11:04 am

3 companies operational in 3 years?