From Cuba: “Fuck You Robert de Niro”

By Repatriado

Miguel Diaz Canel and his wife with Robert de Niro. Photo: cubadebate.cu

HAVANA TIMES – During his visit to New York, Mr. Diaz-Canel (Raul Castro’s puppet, according to many) was lavished with attention at a meeting with important figures of US culture at the sadly famous Dakota building.

Among the figures who honored Mr. Diaz-Canel so enthusiastically, Hollywood icons such as Bennett Miller, Katie Holmes, Dakota Johnson and celebrities such as Chris Martin from Coldplay, Patty Smith, rappers Nas and Q-Tip or Jon Baptiste stood out.

But because everything goes in the world of the most uncritical lefties, the extremely communist Diaz-Canel also happily rubbed shoulders with bourgeois millionaires such as the fun founder of Studio 54 Ian Schrager, Juliana Hatkoff, the Niedichs and of course Carole and Alex Rosenberg, proud art collectors and founders of New York’s Havana Film Festival, an event known for censoring movies that make the Cuban government uneasy.

However, among so much fame, money and talent, the great Robert de Niro especially stood out, leading that enthusiastic group.

Even though being a great actor doesn’t make his opinion any more or less respectable than any fine gardener’s, the fact that he is an extremely public figure means that this display of affection towards the Cuban leader becomes support for what the latter represents.

This strange situation, where one person who is famous for being a liberal (in the US sense of the word) and a social activist chooses to show public support for a shady figure who represents the oldest western dictatorship, deserves a moment of reflection.

Robert de Niro is a millionaire; does he not think it’s contradictory of him to receive the representative of a government that doesn’t recognize entrepreneurial freedom?

Robert de Niro expresses his political opinions in public, does he not think it’s contradictory of him to receive the representative of a government that gags freedom of speech?

Robert de Niro can travel whenever he wishes, does he not think it’s contradictory of him to receive the representative of a government that limits its citizens’ freedom of movement both nationally and internationally?

Robert de Niro is free to act in movies such as Wag the Dog, does he not think it’s contradictory of him to receive the representative of a government that censors art?

Robert de Niro can meet with whomever he wishes, does he not think it’s contradictory of him to receive the representative of a government that limits freedom of association with an iron fist?

Is this the government that Robert de Niro and his millionaire friends would like to live under? Is this the government they want for the United States? If that’s the case, they could move to Cuba. If it isn’t, why the hell are they receiving the representative of this government with honors and publicly legitimizing his power?

Do Robert de Niro and his friends know what would happen to any Cuban (famous or not) who decided to receive the US president or speak badly about the Cuban government in public? They should know. Don’t they care? What’s their excuse?

I understand, and I share the hate, yes hate, that Robert de Niro has for Trump, but please understand that this figure who puts the world to shame was elected by his fellow countrymen and he will soon disappear from history. Do Robert de Niro and friends know who elected Diaz-Canel and that the Cuban people have no say about how long his term in office will be? Don’t they care?

I will take Robert de Niro’s wise words, which he addressed to Trump at the Tony Awards, as my own now and say, Fuck You Robert!

20 thoughts on “From Cuba: “Fuck You Robert de Niro”

• October 4, 2018 at 5:44 pm

that topic is too serious for a joke friend Nick, it would have being great if Robert excuse with the CUBAN PEOPLE for all the terrible things that the US government have done against Cuba for 120 years. After that, the CUBAN PEOPLE should thanks to Robert de Niro and the rest of the AMERICAN PEOPLE for all the good things the American, governments and people, has done for us during the last 120 years. After that, some fancy Cuban actor should say sorry for all the bad things that CUBAN GOVERNMENT has done to the AMERICAN PEOPLE and to LATIN AMERICAN PEOPLE.

So, ALL GOVERMENTS have done bad things, Posada Carriles is a shame and a macule for the US government, I have no doubt, but, Robert de Niro didn´t talk to the CUBAN PEOPLE, he did it with the Cuban dictator, the parson who represent the totalitarian system I suffer.

I have never said that the US government is a saint, they have done many awful things, from my point of view much less bad things that Germans, Britain or Russians when they were a world class power, but that is not the point now. The point, for me, is that I support all what Robert could say against Trump or his own government in general, he enjoys his freedom of speech, but I do not understand what do that has to do with to show support to a dictatorship that cut my own freedom.

• October 3, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Repatriado,
    In a couple of days it will be the 42nd anniversary of Flight 455 being brought down by a terrorist who was trained in the USA and was then protected by by the USA to the extent that he never had to answer for his terrorist crimes.
    Perhaps Robert de Niro wished to tell the Cuban President that he was embarrassed by these facts ??

• October 3, 2018 at 2:08 pm

Carmen,
    You wish to visit Cuba to ‘visit and walk around freely to see what i want to see. To visit the countryside, to see a Cuban show in a theater, a museum or to visit a sugarcane plantation that I remember as a child to drink “Guarapo”’.
    I am from the UK. I have done all these things in Cuba over the past 25 years. No problem at all. (For all it’s faults, Cuba is a fascinating and wonderful place).
    So what’s stopping you ?
    Oh yes. Perhaps the country where you can ‘live and move freely’ places restrictions on where in the world you can travel to. Perhaps the wonderful country within which you reside prevents you from doing what you wish to because of the bitterest of ideological and political reasons ???
    As I say I am from the UK. The governance of the UK is very imperfect as is the governance of all European countries but no European country attempts to impose ideological restrictions on travel as does the Government of the USA – so called ‘Land of the Free’.
    It’s the Land of the Free only as long as you do not wish to venture outside U.S. ideological jurisdiction.

• October 3, 2018 at 6:59 am

I was a child when my family left Cuba in 1961. Did not understand then the “Politic” of it all. My parents wanted to stay but were afraid for their three children’s future. Wanted us to grow up free. Now I long to return to Cuba, but am frustrated that i can’t just go and visit and walk around freely to see what i want to see. To visit the countryside, to see a Cuban show in a theater, a museum or to visit a sugarcane plantation that I remember as a child to drink “Guarapo”. I think now those are the reasons my parents fled. To bring us to a country where we could live and move freely. To one day find ourselves and grow to be our own persons. Not to merely exist. For a person is not just checking “flesh” or we would be an animal with a different language. No, people are more than flesh and bones! We are “Soul and Spirit” too. I am thankful now my parents brought us to a place where we could develop into adults, and where our Soul and Spirit could breathe and and find themselves too.

• October 2, 2018 at 10:34 pm

If you want to mention “those times” in which Batista was president… I don’t recall many Cubans risking their lives via shark infested waters. So go figure… I say this to tell you that ultimately, the grass isn’t always greener but with the current state of Cuba and let’s say after 1959… it’s not green at all.

• October 2, 2018 at 12:39 pm

So, John Wallace´s theory is that we Cubans most thanks Fidel because he managed to gain and keep US attention? I think your generalization shows to little knowledge about Cubans and too much appreciation for the US attention. I am sorry for you if the Cubans you have met gave you the impression that we believe we are “better” for being Cubans, that is a mistake, we believe we are betters for many other reasons.

Roberto Artica´s theory is the best, without Fidel we would be a country controlled by the mafia, jajaja, dear Roberto, that is exactly what Cuba is now, and yes, it is worse than PR. By the way, I will ask to my family living in Miami why do they want to prostitute and enslave us, I think I missed that part in our last conversation.

• October 2, 2018 at 8:19 am

or much worse than PR, imagine a country controlled by gambling, mafia, and drug barons.
    But it seems that is what miami-cubans miss and want; to prostitute and enslave their brothers and sisters. Thus, I say, f&$k miami-cubans, all of them.

• October 1, 2018 at 11:26 pm

Whatever, it’s not like the cubans people are innocent of a lot of the situation in Cuba. This whole thing about wanting the U.S to close their eye on a diplomat regardless of the policy of the country. I left Cuba in the 60, and to honest I used to feel the same way, and slowly the cuban people have shown me another side which changes the dynamics of the whole cuba situation. The belief that they are better because they are cuban, and because they drive 1950 cars like they are the only country going through situation. Honestly speaking “Fuck Cuba” the United States has given to much importance to the island, and the man responsible for all the attention is the man they “Hate the Most” without fidel cuba would be another Puerto Rico.