Question: I am a Canadian citizen & am looking to retire soon. I would like to spend 5 to 6 months per year in Cuba. What do I need to do & contact information.

Answer: Normally, Cuba issues one month tourist visas which can be extended, within the country, for a second month at the discretion of immigration authorities. The only exceptions are holders of a Canadian passport, who can come with a three-month visa which can be extended, within the country, for an additional three months – again, at the discretion of Cuban immigration authorities. This privilege is partly due to the uninterrupted relations that have existed between the two countries for over half a century.

This means that on a tourist visa, you would be able to spend the 5 to 6 months per year that you’d like to be in Cuba after retirement.

For information on applying for a visa, contact the Cuban Embassy in Ottawa or their Consulates in Toronto or Montreal. Contact information for each of these three locations is provided below:

Embassy of Cuba in Ottawa

388 Main Street

Ottawa, Ontario K1S 1E3

Telephone (613) 563-0141

Email [email protected]


Consulate-General of Cuba in Toronto

Kipling Square, Suite 401

5353 Dundas Street West

Toronto, Ontario M9B 6H8

Telephone (416) 234-8181

Email [email protected]

Consulate-General of Cuba in Montreal

4542-4546 Decarie Boulevard

Montreal, Quebec H4A 3P2

Telephone (514) 843-8897

Email [email protected]

24 thoughts on “How can a Canadian stay 5-6 months in Cuba?

  • my wife and I spent one week in cuba. this was the best time of our lives. The people there were so kind to us we felt like were friends for ever.We look forward to going back, Would love to send more time there in years to come.

  • You are a goof that has no clue Cuba is beautiful an the people are great my wish for you grow up

  • Totally agreed..Cuba is not safe and good place to live life..but it’s fun that way!! Lol

  • What is the significance of Feb 24 2019??

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *