Is a Tourist Card the same as a Tourist Visa?

Question: My husband and I are traveling to Cuba in 1 month, and we hold Australian passports. We are trying to come to grips if a Tourist Card (apparently issued at the airport) is the same as a Tourist Visa?

Answer: The short answer is yes, each is a legal document that allows you to enter the country.

A Cuban Tourist Card (called a Visado Tarjeta del Turista in Spanish and sometimes referred to as a Cuban Visitors Visa), issued by travel agents and airlines, must be accompanied with a current passport. These are the only two documents tourists need to enter Cuba.

Canadian airline carriers include a Cuban Tourist Card in the cost of the air ticket, and they are provided on flight.  Mexicana, Cubana and other carriers usually require that the Cuban Tourist Card be purchased from them, at the airline check-in counter, before departure to Cuba. In Canada, the cost is generally between US $20-30.

Normally a Tourist Card allows you to stay in Cuba for 30 days. It is possible to be extended for another 30 days. The Tourist Card is only for tourism purposes. For carrying out any other kind of activities, the required visa must be applied for.

Any question about Cuban Tourist Cards should be directed first to your travel agent, and second to your airline.

Be aware that Australia does not have an Embassy or Consulate in Cuba. The Australian Embassy in Mexico provides consular assistance to Australians in Cuba. The Canadian Embassy in Havana can also assist Australians.

4 thoughts on “Is a Tourist Card the same as a Tourist Visa?

  • April 5, 2010 at 1:14 pm

    Where are you writing from? With that information maybe we can help get the information you need.

  • April 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm

    i need a tourist visa card to travel on holiday tour.i have been looking for a right patner to help me out.i will looking forward to hear from you soon.hope to haer a good response from you.

    Taiwo bakare Olagunju.

  • October 5, 2009 at 11:29 pm

    To Get information about tourist cards to visit Cuba in Nigeria contact the Cuban consulate.

    Excmo. Sr. Elio Savón Oliva
    Embajador Extraordinario y Plenipotenciario
    Fecha de acreditación: 24/11/2006

    Cancillería:Plot. 339. Central Area District, Area 10, Garki, Abuja, Nigeria
    Teléfonos:(2349) 461 4821 y 461 4822
    Fax:(2349) 234 8942
    E-mail: [email protected].com , [email protected] , [email protected]
    Pág. Web:

    Sección Consular
    Sra. Dolores M. Meras Morejón

    Consulado:Plot 339, Central Area District, Area 10, Garki, Abuja.

  • October 5, 2009 at 8:57 am

    I need a tourist card for a group of traveller, I am operating a travel agency in Nigeria and have some customer requesting to have a tour holiday in Cuba I have been looking for a right partner to help me out on these.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Adetogun Adewole A.
    ADREM Travel & Tour Ltd

Comments are closed.