Is there a Russian community in Cuba?

Question: Hello Havana Times, my name is Eduard and I live in USA but originally from Russia. We are planning to come to Cuba for Religious purposes. I am happy that I was able to find your website and I can learn something about Cuba from your website. We would like to find a Russian community in Cuba and wondering if you would know where we can find this community? According to our research there is about 55,000 people of Russian descent living in Cuba.

Also, is there an open access to the internet in Cuba?

Answer: Yes there is a good size Russian-Cuban community and one of our writers, Dmitri Prieto is a member of it. We will pass on your request to him and he can then write you directly.

As to your other question, Internet in Cuba for visitors is available at some of the hotels at varying speeds, and costing from 7 to 11 USD the hour. Cubans are not allowed to contract internet service at their homes, even the terribly slow 40-50 kb telephone dial up connections, which some trusted government workers and artists have.

17 thoughts on “Is there a Russian community in Cuba?

• January 13, 2020 at 3:32 pm

I will forward you message to Dmitri Prieto.

• January 13, 2020 at 2:59 pm

Hi! I am a russian photography student looking to connect with the russian community in Havana for a project. I will be in Havana for 2 more weeks, could you possibly put me in touch with Dmitri Prieto or someone else who could help me meet some russians in Havanna? My email is [email protected] Thank you!

• January 4, 2020 at 12:14 pm

I heard from my friend that there is Dr. Fyodorov in Cardenas, Cuba, who is helping people who are in wheelchair, and cannot walk, to get to walk with walking cane ? I would like to know the address and phone number of his clinique in Cardenas, Cuba. If anyone can help me, please, I will appreciate greatly-

• April 12, 2018 at 6:08 pm

I’m looking for Russian artists and writers who may have visited Cuba in the 1900-1950

• July 19, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Ruben, as I have previously written, the 2012 Official Census of Cuba found only 5,500 people in Cuba who were not born there. I know of only two Russian women by birth who live in our city. But I find your comparison between Russian and Cuban schools interesting. What is the basis for you claiming that Cuban schools are superior to the Russian schools and colleges?
    Yes, there are many Lada and a few Muskovich cars in Cuba dating back prior to 1990. The factory in Russia which produced them was designed and installed by Fiat, who also designed the car. Cuba boasts 20 cars for every 1,000 people. Puerto Rico has 678.
    Talking about the 2012 Census, why was it that people only had choice of being white, mulatto or black – with no provision for Asians. Where do the Chinese fit in?
    One of the major Russian exports to Cuba is cement which includes asbestos – no concern there for Cuban public health is there?

• July 18, 2017 at 5:46 pm

That is great, because the climate is nice in Cuba, all year round, and Cuba has the best schools, and colleges…

• July 18, 2017 at 5:45 pm

The United States of America elite and prestigious Cuban community knows that there is a large former Soviet Union Russian Community in Cuba, and a large Chinatown too.
    There is many Soviet Cars, and Soviet products in Cuba…

• March 29, 2016 at 9:56 am

There is a Russian community of Chernobyl survivors just east of Havana

• December 22, 2015 at 11:10 am

I rented a Geely and had no problems with it, I thought it was as good as any other car ?

• July 31, 2015 at 4:34 pm

With regard to Russians in Cuba, the 2012 National Census reported just 5,500 people not born in Cuba.

• July 31, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Regarding car hire, foreigners should be made aware that there is a top up charge for insurance of $18 per day. Also that insurance claims are only met if a police report is obtained. Finally, try to avoid renting a Geely – they are junk!

• July 10, 2015 at 9:12 am

The person who is going to check on this is out of town this week but will next week.

• July 8, 2015 at 6:29 pm

I am in the zoo business and will be in Cuba in August, I am trying to email the National Zoo but can’t seem to find an email address for it, do you have any way I can get in touch with them?

• June 16, 2015 at 1:57 am

I guess it’s not an issue even if it’s true. I take russian class by skype at Preply and I think Russians are great people.

• June 15, 2015 at 5:09 pm

I am a Russian-American in the USA hoping to travel to Cuba in the fall and have the same question. Can you please put me in touch with Dmitri Prieto? [email protected]

• May 2, 2015 at 10:35 am

Not allowed, but some do….