More on Trump and the Cuban-Venezuelan-Nicaraguan Triad

Lynn Cruz

Cartoon: Manuel Guillen / laprensa.com.ni

HAVANA TIMES – The Trump administration has the following as part of its political agenda: “End Communist dictatorships in Venezuela, Nicaragua and Cuba.” The latter two only appear as priorities amidst the fiasco with the Venezuelan opposition, and their attempt to end Chavista totalitarianism headed by Nicolas Maduro.

The Nicaraguan people are also bleeding dry trying to bring an end to Daniel Ortega’s government, another one of today’s leaders of the so-called Latin American Left. Fidel Castro, the patron saint of anti-Imperialism, exported this rebellious seed. However, in spite of all the suffering, of extreme violence, the US government hasn’t seemed too bothered by events in Nicaragua.

The real crisis is happening in Venezuela. Maybe the Venezuelan opposition has got a little further in its struggle, and remained in the fight, and this as well as the fact that Venezuela is a large country with resources that wealthy countries do care about, encouraged Trump’s anti-autocratic crusade in this triad of countries he believes to be Communist.

Speaking about these governments and establishing how to do away with these three powers, Cuba-Nicaragua-Venezuela, the US government is abusing and ignoring facts which is only creating more political and social instability in these countries where human beings live, including children and the elderly.

This is a fascist measure, which transforms these countries into reconcentration camps, as they were already suffering sanctions and living an economic war before because they didn’t stand by the White House’s political discourse.

Meanwhile, the Cuban government will continue to blame the US for its own shortcomings and the international community will agree. An economic attack like the one the US has waged right now, as the leader of the world’s superpowers, has put the island and its inhabitants in a very vulnerable position.

Personally-speaking, I had to reach rock bottom, enter the abyss in order to understand that the Cuban government has taken advantage of this imbalance of power in a brilliant way to uphold its discourse, although I know that’s a tough truth to swallow for people like me who dream of a different Cuba.

If the Cuban Revolution, famous for being one of the most radical in the world, hasn’t brought independence, as its weak economy proves, then the fight for freedom will always be put on hold.

The transition towards State capitalism is the most obvious way power in Cuba has mutated. Cubans in exile with economic and political power refuse to accept this reality that excludes them.

Most Cubans living on the island come from the emerging, popular classes, who don’t identify with those who lost their properties and were also responsible for power falling into the hands of a single man when they left the country, as they left the island without a political opposition.

Of course, they are also victims of the terror that Fidel Castro put into practice, but they don’t have any empathy for Cubans living in this country, as they label us all Communists. So, while the past is debated in government offices, projecting the future from a present in ruins, and without a dialogue with Cuba’s reality, in terms of the Cuban conflict, there’s not much else for me to say but the popular expression: “There is no splinter worse than one from the same stick.”

Lynn Cruz

It's not art that imitates life, its life that imitates art," said Oscar Wilde. And art always goes a step further. I am an actress and writer. For me, art, especially writing, is a way of exorcising demons. It is something intimate. However, I decided to write journalism because I realized that I did not exist. In Cuba, only the people authorized by the government have the right to express themselves publicly. Havana Times is an example of coexistence within a democracy and since I consider myself a democrat, my dream is to integrate this publication’s philosophy into the reality of my country.

14 thoughts on “More on Trump and the Cuban-Venezuelan-Nicaraguan Triad

• May 29, 2019 at 3:36 pm

Thanks Tony. my position is similar, our home is in my wife’s name.
    You perhaps underestimate the number of Cubans who would like to travel to the US at half a million. Canada too has quite a lot of them. Many have worked in the tourism sector, married Canadian women and following moving to Canada, later obtained a divorce. Although it is easy to criticize such actions, it demonstrates the extremes that Cubans will pursue to get out from under the communist heel.
    As for the Canadian Embassy, its services have almost reduced to zero.

• May 29, 2019 at 10:36 am

Hi Carlyle, I thinks you misunderstand my statement of me buying the house but NOT OWNING the house. I PAID for the property but the owner is my Cuban friend…you must trust this person..
    However, if a foreigner marries a Cuban they can also become an owner of the property as well….Joint ownership ..You should consult a Cuban attorney as well as discuss this option with the Canadian Embassy in Cuba in Miramar.
    The US Embassy is the largest foreign embassy in Cuba ,a large 10 story building on the Malecon..The US has over 60 properties throughout Cuba primarily in Havana. The 300 employees are primarily Cubans with security clearance who work at the embassy keeping track of over 1 million Cubans who now live in the US primarily Florida. Another half million would like to get a visa to travel to the US.
    My primary home is El Paso,TX border with Juarez,Mexico …. 10 days ago over 800 Cubans crossed the border in a single day…..enough said !!

• May 26, 2019 at 5:05 pm

Victor, you make a good point and you make it well.
    You suggest that Liar-in Chief-trump and Warmonger-in-Chief-bolton care about elections but do not care about democracy.
    This is a subtle distinction and an ingenious way of describing one of the biggest problems we currently face in this modern era. This era of nationalistic, nativist, cut-throat, right wing capitalists trying to pass themselves off as ‘democratic’.
    Here in the UK we also have a problem regarding right-wing opportunists with the same disturbing stripes.

• May 26, 2019 at 12:40 pm

I am very interested Tony in how you as a US citizen was able to purchase a home in Miramar? Although married to a Cuban citizen I am not permitted to purchase a house. How exactly did you proceed?
    The so-called sonic waves were not confined to the US Embassy employees, but also affected Canadian Embassy staff and families. In 2018, the families of Canadian staff were in consequence returned to Canada and then in 2019, staff were halved resulting in the Embassy no longer issuing TRVs. (Temporary Resident Visas) to Cubans. But the figure you give of 300 employees at the US Embassy is incredible – compared with 14 Canadian staff. Does that reflect the US doing a lot of business or sheer incompetency?

• May 26, 2019 at 10:54 am

I am a US citizen who has been traveling to Cuba since 1983 over 35 years. I love the Cuban people and even bought a large home in Havana – Miramar in 2016. I did not marry a Cuban but have a very good friend for many years who cares and rents some extra rooms. My family of 4 have been to Cuba many times usually staying with Cuban friends . After many years I can say mainly GOOD things :: very good security , low crime,few murders , you can see teenagers gathering and walking along the Malecon , 5th avenue 24 hours. Excellent free education for all Cubans and for those who qualify even foreigners can study medicine for free??? This would cost a minimum of $200,000 per year in the USA !!!
    Cuba produces 12,000 Doctors yearly and another 23,000 total 35,000 in all medical related areas….more than any South American country.
    Free medical care for all Cubans and low cost for foreigners. Although medicine and supplies are limited.
    Ability to overcome adversity, Hurricanes , food shortages, they genuinely help their neighbors
    Mostly I applaud the hospitality and friendship of the Cuban public.

Now The so called embargo of the USA… US companies are very limited to sell directly to Cuba however
    there are ways to overcome this via transfer to a closeby island then to Cuba.. The problem is money and credit !! Cuba doesn’t pay …so they blame the Embargo. I use to sell Cuba via a Mexican company instead of 90 days credit IT took a minimum of 180 sometimes 365 days. USA Banking, US credit cards , are not accepted in Cuba
    Obama established the oficial embassy in 2015 and easy travel for US citizens to Cuba. GREAT NEWS

Trump, Marco Rubio and the Miami Mafia don’t want americans spending money so travel is limited once again , the embassy is basically closed for business due to a so called sonic waves affecting 20 plus employees out of over 300 employees. Bunch of BS , throw it against a wall and some will stick.
    Same sonic waves affected embassy employees in CHINA and NO closure of the embassy.
    I say allow EASY travel to Cuba…. the Cubans need the money to improve the economy.

I am an optimist and hope the politics will change in 2020….enough said AMEN

• May 25, 2019 at 7:04 pm

Victor, do correct me if I am wrong, but is it correct that 63 million Americans voted for Donald Trump? Is it correct that every four years Americans are able to vote for Presidential candidates representing different political parties.
    The people of the US expressed their wishes and Trump was the consequence.
    You may regard me as naive about Cuba, Venezuela and Nicaragua, but that is obviously more than matched by your ignorance of the US and the choice that you and your fellow Americans made – apparently your wishes were granted – should you have been more careful?