Cuba and China to Sign Joint Venture for Golf Resort/Villa

Golf Course in Varadero.
Golf Course in Varadero.

by Progreso Weekly

HAVANA TIMES — Cuba and China will sign an agreement today on a joint venture involving the construction of a large building complex to accompany an 18-hole golf course east of Havana, the government’s ACN news reported.

The complex will rise in Bellomonte, on Cuba’s northern coast, at a cost of $462 million. It will consist of hotels, a golf course and condominiums.

José Raúl Daniel Alonso, business director at the Ministry of Tourism.
José Raúl Daniel Alonso, business director at the Ministry of Tourism.

José Raúl Daniel Alonso, business director at the Ministry of Tourism (MinTur) said that the pact, between the state-run Grupo Palmares and the Chinese firm Beijing Enterprises Holdings Ltd., would be the second of its kind.

The first joint venture for the development of golf-related real estate was created in 2014 with the British company Esencia Hotels and Resorts.

The partnership will undertake the construction of a $360 million complex near Cuba’s main tourist resort, Varadero, in Matanzas province. Construction of the project, to be known as The Carbonera Club, is set to begin next year.

Architect’s rendering of the Carbonera Club hotel complex near Varadero, a British-Cuban joint venture to be built next year.

A third joint venture, similar in nature, is in the works and will be announced later this year, Alonso said. He did not reveal who the foreign partner would be or the location for the project.

Cuba currently has one 18-hole golf course, in Varadero. The government has said that it plans to have at least 12 golf resorts.

Golf, known as the “sport of the rich” around the world, was once criticized by Cuban leaders and prohibited following the revolution of 1959. Fidel Castro and Che Guevara publicly ridiculed the sport as “bourgeois.”

Today, Cuban leaders regard golf, marinas and exclusive tourist resorts and real estate as a good source of revenues for the socialist State.

46 thoughts on “Cuba and China to Sign Joint Venture for Golf Resort/Villa

• July 6, 2015 at 7:48 am

I have no desire for absolution from the Church of Marx & Castro. It is for Castro to beg forgiveness from the Cuban people for all the harm he has cursed Cuba with.

• July 1, 2015 at 10:59 pm

Sorry Griff, I can’t absolve you of your sins after that confession…But maybe if go on a crusade and leave all your property to the Church, Amen.

• June 30, 2015 at 11:50 am

Actually, back in college I read Marx, Trotsky, Kropotkin, Gramsci, & etc. I was even a member of the NDP (Canadian social democratic party) for a while. My journey to a more conservative liberal democratic position was gradual and involved coming to terms with reality, rather than continuing to believe in the lies and delusions of the Left.

• June 30, 2015 at 10:04 am

Please show me your facts, I have shown you mine, if you can’t see them, open your eyes. What links have you shown? Are all links “the Truth” and how can you tell them apart? If I showed a link to an article in the Moscow University Digest. would you accept it? Why should I accept Griff’s Scholarly Propaganda as truthful, on his say so? Are you that naive? I don’t hide where I’m coming from and I know my Cuban History really well, I speak Portuguese fluently as well as French. Besides being myself a witness, I have talked to literally hundreds of witnesses to a lot of current History including Democratic Republic of Congo, Grenada, Angola, SA and Viet Nam in Canada, and Lebanon, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Somalia, Yemen, Jamaica, Mexico, Perú, Chile and Argentina in situ…I have been around, dude, you have not seen anything or been anywhere, like Griff, but inside your imagination!

• June 30, 2015 at 9:42 am

Talky-talk-talk, nobody believes your account because no extreme right-wing, White-Supremacist government with Apartheid laws is going to hand over the country to the “Kaffirs and the Ters” (ANC) unless they had no choice in the matter. It was either that or, like the Boers that decided to invade southern Botswana about 6-7 years ago, get wiped out. SADF lost practically its whole air force, its best fighting units, the special howitzers built in a CIA farm straddling the Quebec/New York border, sent from Canada through Eric Gairy’s (sp?) Grenada to South Africa but exposed at the port of Halifax by a Canadian Customs inspector. Your explanations make little sense, getting bogged down in academic discussions that would put people to sleep (not you, of course) and comparing scholarly works of propaganda from both sides in this type of forum is not only ridiculous but useless. You talk like a garden variety, university-grown McCarthyist, likely the president of the Ayn Rand Club at some point, that is no insult but the direct result of the return to the concept of “fellow traveler” that you regaled us with after being buried for 60 years (it still stinks). Your cover is blown, man; I advice a very long hike, together with a lot of fasting, modern Marxist readings and a good look around you, but before you can do any of that, you must open your eyes first, then get out of the U.

• June 29, 2015 at 4:20 pm

He wasn’t joking. It just took him 50 years to get around to giving up power. You know how you lose track of time? I get it, he went to the store and instead of 20 min, he took 55 years….yeah sure.