HAVANA TIMES — Political opposition leader Martha Beatriz Roque said on Tuesday that the National Meeting for Democracy, originally scheduled for December 10, was being postponed until that same date in 2013, reports the Cubaencuentro website.
The promoters of the initiative consider it necessary to delay for another year the preliminary activities that up until now “have been welcomed a number of organizations opposing the country’s government,” the statement said.
The purpose of the meeting is to “discuss with members of the Cuban nation the actions to take to achieve the establishment of a democratic society.”
So far, the following opposition organizations have been involved in this meeting:
- Casa del Preso “Ernesto Diaz Madruga”
- Coalicion Central Opositora
- Frente Nacional de Resistencia y Desobediencia Civil “Orlando Zapata Tamayo”
- Fundacion por la Libertad de Expresión
- Movimiento Femenino por los Derechos Civiles “Rosa Park”
- Movimiento Independiente Opcion Alternativa
- Partido Social Democrata de Cuba
- Red Cubana de Comunicadores Comunitarios