US to Deal Hard Blow to Cuba on Wednesday, Official Says

The economic situation could worsen considerably with the new US pressure to scare away investors and punish those already operating.  Photo: by Juan Suarez

HAVANA TIMES – The United States will announce a tightening of measures against Cuba on Wednesday, a senior administration official confirmed to dpa news.

The measures would effectively make it riskier for companies to do business in Cuba by setting up grounds for lawsuits over the utilization of properties nationalized by the Castro government following the Communist take-over of the island.

Technically, the move is centered around what is known as the Title III provision of the Helms-Burton Act from 1996, which has been regularly suspended to avoid a legal war.

If implemented, the provision would allow US citizens to sue over property lost following the Cuban Revolution, including by demanding compensation from the current user of those assets, many in the hands of European companies.

The administration has been indicating for some time it may cease the suspensions of the provision, in part stemming from frustration over Havana’s support for President Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela.

The US is seeking Maduro’s ouster. This year Washington began stepping up measures against the Venezuelan state-run oil and gas sectors, trying to block the flow of capital to the government.

Recent sanctions have also included measures targeting trade between Cuba and Venezuela. These included sanctions against sea transport companies that take Venezuelan oil to Cuba.

The US has maintained an embargo on Cuba going back about six decades.

Last month, the US State Department said the Title III suspension would only be kept for another 30 days, with a senior official indicating the administration may then let it be fully implemented.

“We are going to hold the Cuban regime accountable for its confiscation of properties and ensure that there is justice for US claimants,” the official said. Such a move is expected to be announced Wednesday in Miami where it will be cheered by the old guard Cuban exile community.


14 thoughts on “US to Deal Hard Blow to Cuba on Wednesday, Official Says

  • I agree with you GeeGee. I think about this over and over. How can the so called richest, most powerful country who always pushes for human rights in other countries is doing just the opposite. Trump is making the US look as a big bully to the world. What is the US afraid of that Trump is hell-bent on building his wall. Wrong and hateful policies do no good for anyone. He is definitely NOT making America great again- just the opposite.

  • And who is afraid of ‘ regime change ‘ ? thanks

  • Weren’t those corporations that The Cuban Revolution of 1959 confiscated allowed to deduct the confiscated enterprises monetary losses in their income taxes ? One thing I do remember clearly from my school days is that politics and the law don’t always mix well. thanks!

  • USA would be Homeless if the true founders of America have it way.
    What about America kidnapping Black and brown people.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *