A Fruitless Complaint against Cuban State Security Agents

Luis Rondón Paz

The one-story building is the Military Attorney´s office. The other building is one of several belonging to State Security in Vedado.
The one-story building is the Military District Attorney’s office in Vedado.

HAVANA TIMES — This past June, I was again contacted by two State Security officials who warned me of the dangers I could become exposed to if I attended places in Havana where “political activities sponsored by the enemy” were held. They also tried to persuade me to act as an informant for them.

Out of naivety, I agreed to talk to them this time around, even though they had tried to deceive me, introducing themselves as journalism students over the phone. The damage had already been done. We talked and I told them I would think about their proposal to “continue our conversation.”

It seems they took what I said very seriously, because they started calling me and insisting on a meeting almost every day. Faced with this situation, I asked some friends for advice. My friends suggested I ignore them and, the last time they called, I made it very clear I wasn’t interested in talking anymore, suggesting they use proper legal channels to contact me.

Thinking about how to prevent any future attempts at contacting me (and avoid the terrible feeling of thinking someone is playing with your head), I sought legal counsel about my case through a legal and cultural initiative called the Alianza Unidad Racial (“Racial Unity Alliance”).

On July 28, after receiving counsel, I decided to lodge a formal complaint at the Military District Attorney’s Office located at the intersection of Tulipan and Boyeros, Havana, in the hopes that, after telling them of my uncomfortable situation, I would be left alone.

Unfortunately, my complaint yielded no results, because, according to the officers there, “State Security agents have every right to call you as many times as they deem convenient, particularly if it’s to warn you that you could be getting into trouble.” They also said I should be grateful, for they were looking after me. “How lucky I am, I have several body guards, all to myself,” I thought.

81 thoughts on “A Fruitless Complaint against Cuban State Security Agents

• August 19, 2015 at 12:28 pm

We, Canadians who care for Human Rights and Justice, did bring him home through public pressure on this very unpopular Conservative government. So let me get this, because the kid is “indoctrinated” and Dad has certain ties to high level “terrorists”, this is just reason to send a USA Army assassination squad into a foreign country, attack a family home full of civilians and shoot them all to pieces, men, women and children alike…Hum, who is the terrorist here? Fight fire with fire you say? But the fire just got higher and higher to the point where it is today in all the places where the USA chose to stick his forces in throughout the Middle East.
    Coming back to Cuba here, we suffered a terrorist attack on a Cubana civilian plane, all aboard dead and, after being caught in Panama planning to assassinate Fidel during a visit to the University there, the Gusano perpetrator was liberated by the new, USA installed Panamanian Government and was sheltered by the USA in the Miami area for years until his death.

I do not hope Omar fights Canada, neither him nor I have any reason to but to the contrary. This is one of the reasons I am proud of my Canadian citizenship, but then I am not a Canadian First Nations Person, and I’m not proud of what the Canadian Government did and is still doing to them.

• August 17, 2015 at 3:07 pm

The truth really riles you doesn’t it!

• August 17, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Khadr’s family home was and is in Canada like yours. His father was the right hand man of the world’s then leading terrorist and Omar was indoctrinated from an early age. You should recall the comments made on Canadian TV by his mind poisoned sister.
    At the moment he resides here in Edmonton. You didn’t get him back to Canada. As for your hope that he may fight again, it typifies your attitude towards the country where you reside and which shelters you from terrorists.

• August 17, 2015 at 2:24 pm

No, not for the privilege it brings but for the privilege it is to be able to defend my Country from the propaganda you throw at it in this international forum, but really anywhere, anytime. Now, do you want me to feel bad that I have achieved a certain status in my community or in my 2 countries? I do not regret this at all.
    Do you want the rest of the readership to think less of me because I have achieved a certain status in my community and in my 2 countries? How stupid!
    What about my openly confessed, succe$$ful Capitalist Enterprise here in Canada, is that a Socialist Peccadillo, a Communist Contradiction or a Capitalist Inversion…? Who gives a F–K, it sure works for me and all the people that I can help anyway I can, from fair employment to donations to sponsorship to travel abroad, connections and exhibitions.

• August 17, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Gee, that’s very interesting…

• August 17, 2015 at 2:01 pm

I agree with my President that the prison at Gitmo should be closed as soon as is legally and practically possible. We’re you aware that the Castros detained scores of anti-CASTRO dissidents this weekend whose only crime was peaceful marching?

• August 17, 2015 at 1:49 pm

If you support the USA being in Guantánamo, you support torture on 15 year old Omar Kahdar, a Canadian citizen who survived a Terrorist attack by USA Special Forces on his FAMILY HOME in Pakistan and was wounded defending himself and his family; he bravely killed one of the USA terrorists and wounded another before being taken prisoner and tortured for years afterwards before we got him back to Canada and are helping him get himself and his life back together. i have made a small donation to his rehab fund, hopes are he may get well enough to fight another day, he sure demonstrated courage under fire, the rest of his family there was assassinated in the cowardly, USA Terrorist attack.

• August 17, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Yo? Who says I support such a thing? Sounds like you have had some regrettable personal experiences. As an African-American, I have had my share of negative interactions with the abuse of power. This is what fuels my opinions regarding the Castro regime. I witnessed my Cuban friend arrested in front of the Hotel Vedado for “asedio peligro” (or something that sounds like that) for simply walking with me. Another friend lost the opportunity to finish her Ph.D at the University of Havana just because her older sister is a Damas de Blanco. That’s the reason they gave her! I could go on about how THEY told my future wife at that time how she should be careful dating a yuma. After all, she was the national morning newsreader and that job came with limitations. So you see, we all have our issues. You have a right to express your opinions without being called a liar. I have the same right.