How can I get information on ophthalmology care in Cuba for foreigners?

Question: I am interested to travel to Cuba for a consultation with an ophthalmologist. Who should I contact? What might a consultation, hospital stay and operation cost, if necessary?

Answer: One of the finest ophthalmological hospitals in Cuba is the Instituto Cubano de Oftalmología Ramon Pando Ferrer (Cuban Institute of Ophthalmology), located in Havana. In addition to being both a national and international reference hospital, it is also a leading teaching center.

Medical care at Pando Ferrer, as the Hospital is locally known, includes diagnosis, treatment and surgical solutions, as well as emergency services, ambulatory care and hospitalization if needed. Pando Ferrer is also equipped with state-of-the-art technology for the diagnosis of various eye diseases and innovative surgical techniques. Medical services include corneal refractive surgery, cataract, glaucoma, cornea, low vision, oculoplasty, pediatric ophthalmology and strabismus, retina, neuro-ophthalmology and other ophthalmic subspecialties.

Pando Ferrer has a program that comes under Health Tourism, which since 1991 has been providing medical care to patients from other countries. Health care services under this program are provided in the areas of Retina, Cataract, Cornea, tear ducts, Strabismus, Contact Lenses, Glaucoma, Refractive Surgery and Neuro-ophthalmology.

As for costs for a consultation, as well as for surgery and a hospital stay if necessary, this would depend on the nature of the problem as well as the recommended treatment and follow-up, and would need to be discussed with the hospital itself.

Contact information for Pando Ferrer is as follows:

Instituto Cubano de Oftalmología Ramon Pando Ferrer

Calle 76 #3104

e/ 31 y 41

Marianao

Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba 10400

Telephone (537) 265-4800

Fax (537) 267-0965

Public Relations [email protected]

Website www.pando.sld.cu

Note: Also see the response to the following question for additional information on Pando Ferrer:

What’s a reference for eye care treatment in Cuba?

15 thoughts on “How can I get information on ophthalmology care in Cuba for foreigners?

• June 16, 2020 at 11:03 pm

Hi ,
    Can you provide me with some info such as costs for doing cataract surgery please .

• November 22, 2019 at 7:28 am

HI I would love to be in contact with someone that could give me more information regarding a macular hole my mother has. Im interested in experience, success rates & also cost in Cuba for this procedure.

Im happy to hear from any other eye hospitals SPECIFICALLY IN CUBA that can do this procedure in the early part of 2020.

Warm regards
    AD

• October 10, 2019 at 6:15 pm

Good morning. How do I proceed with coming to your hospital for assessment and treatment. I am 61 years old and I am afflicted with glaucoma

• September 22, 2019 at 11:43 am

My daughter needs cornera transplant. Is that type of surgery done in Cuba?

• March 26, 2019 at 9:58 am

I am a 56 years old Jamaica who was diagnosed with a “macular hole” in my right eye in October 2018, after having difficulty seeing clearly especially at night. I would like to know if there’s a surgery that can be done to correct it and or restore my 20/20 vision. If its possible I would like to schedule an appointment and would like to know the cost for correction.

• November 3, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Good day sir or madam I would like to get some information on how to get my baby to Cuba to do a cataract eye surgery on both eye she is currently visual impaired and I need it to down as soon as posible can be contact #
    18763450360

• October 31, 2018 at 7:14 pm

I have a patient that declare blind in both eyes but one eye see color and image can you help