Cuban Laws

What do I do if my flight home is two days after my tourist visa expires?

Although the normal tourist visa is good for one month, it is usually possible to extend it for a second month. To do so one must go to the immigration office indicated below with one’s passport, visa and return flight ticket. In general, there is a charge of CUC 25 in special “tax stamps” (officially known as Especies Timbradas but commonly referred to as sellos de timbre), which are available at some banks. You MUST have an official receipt showing purchase of the stamps and you will be asked to show identification when you buy them. The immigration office can direct you to the nearest location where these stamps are available.

Read More

Gay Travelers Info Request

As far as LGBT culture and lifestyle goes, Cuba is one of the most open societies in the entire Caribbean and Latin American region. Over the last thirty years, homophobic laws have one by one been taken off the books, leading to the decriminalization of homosexuality in 1979, as occurred in Spain at the same time.

Read More

Legal Adult Age in Cuba

As a 17-year-old coming to Cuba, you will not be considered a minor, as minors in Cuba are all those under the age of 16, which is also the legal age of consent in the country.

While there doesn’t appear to be a legal drinking age in Cuba, the de jure purchase age for both alcohol and cigarettes is 18 years. However, this is rarely enforced and seldom is one asked to present an ID showing age (although there’s always a first time).

Read More

Is a Tourist Card the same as a Tourist Visa?

The short answer is yes, each is a legal document that allows you to enter the country.

A Cuban Tourist Card (called a Visado Tarjeta del Turista in Spanish and sometimes referred to as a Cuban Visitors Visa), issued by travel agents and airlines, must be accompanied with a current passport. These are the only two documents tourists need to enter Cuba.

Read More

How can I hire a Cuban lawyer?

English-speaking lawyers in Cuba are available from two sources, both of which are listed below with their contact information. They provide a range of services including on immigration matters and can recommend a lawyer suitable to your needs. There will be a fee for services.

Read More